Taking apart a Intel dotstation



After many years of use, my dad decided to give up on the intel dot station that he possessed, and I decided to make good use of it (read as taking it apart). Getting to open it was in itself a challenge due to the custom screw head that they had on the back panel, and I had to prise it open.

The device is built on a metal chassis at the base enclosing the processor, HDD etc, on this is placed a 14" monitor, with the left of the monitor taking a PCB (the SMPS) and the right is another PCB (the electronics that takes a VGA input and converts to analog signals for running the CRT). That is it.... A very cool design, I though, for a PC designed 8 years ago.

Well, with that done, and analysing the various piece of hardware, I decided to throw it all, except for the chassis and the HDD (that has a puppy linux inside). I hope some day to find a processor that will fit into the chassis and a SMPS and run a bare-bone PC.

Comments