Connecting my Philips PC headset to my mobile devices

I purchased a Philips Headset (SHM1900) for use with my PC/laptop. These are the comfortable cushiony types that I like, but terminate in two separate pins for speaker and microphone (as is available on a PC). I however wanted to also use them with my mobile phones (samsung Omnia W, samsung galaxy ace) and tablet(samsung galaxy tab 10.1), which have a single 3.5 mm socket for both speakers and microphone. Looked around shops for a adapter like this but was not available in India either in shops or online. Hence, decided to build one by purchasing a splitter and modifying it to suit my purpose. A splitter simply splits 1 earphone socket to 2, and cannot handle a microphone. I also had a 3.5 mm cable suitable to go into the phone/tablet socket, though it ended in three RCA pins. To start off, cut the splitter that i purchase and the cable I had to ensure that I now had a pin that went in to the phone socket and two sockets that would take the pins (from the microphone and speakers from my Philips headset). Cut and stripped the wires on the other end of both these.
Figured out the pin-out of my phone from here and prepared the wires accordingly. On the wires from the splitter that were to connect to the Philips speaker end, it was not so clear, so had to connect, play music and check each time with all permutations and combinations. Even after i got the sound through, I still had to check if i got my left and right correct. Googled and found a site that had just this. Loosely connected the wires and went to this site and played the clips to ensure I got this right. Connecting the microphone was easy on the other socket. Soldered it all up and insulted the wires and there I had what i wanted! Took me 2 early hours today and finished in time for the flag hoisting at my community. Felt free and independent!

Comments