Gaming

After exploring mobile phones, I am recently trying to understand gaming. This from looking to introduce my daughter to it. Gaming has not appealed to me from the days of 5" floppies and the monsters that crunched away on screen. Also, I was terrible at it. With xbox and advertising happening around me while in India, and the huge impact here in the US, I am intrigued.

What do you need to get going? For starters you need a gaming system, and that consists of a console, controller and games. The first two are hardware and the game itself is the software. Be advised that the hardware and software are not interoperable. That means that you choose the system with forethought.

There seem to be only 3 men standing in the game war. Playstation from Sony, Xbox from Microsoft and Wii/DSi from Nintendo. PS and Xbox are more advanced in their capability and also more expensive than Wii. DSi is a portable gaming system and compares only to PSP, which is Playstation Portable.

The PS, Xbox and Wii are like high performance PCs and hook to a display, network, and to the controllers. The controllers are like mouse, joystick etc. You also buy the games separately which come on DVDs or are downloaded at a price.

At this point I realised that the system sold here in the US are in NTSC format and won't work on a TV in India (PAL).
And here stopped my search and interest. Another interoperability!!
******
R Venkataraghavan
Sent from my E71

Comments